Monday, November 28, 2011

EDUC 6711--Walden University--Week 5 Application--Connectivism and Social Learning in Practice

There are many strategies that can be implemented when attempting to use the constructivist approach.  The resources outlined this week focus on the ability to apply communication and socializing into this theory.  Social constructivism revolves around the gradual release of responsibility through social interactions (Orey, 2001).  This theory, while not as prevalent in the past is beginning to grow and become more and more used in classrooms around our nation.  Unfortunately, many educators are still weary of the change and continue to cling on to old practices which feel safe yet may not be as effective.

Personally, I am beginning to use social learning in my own classroom on a more regular and even typical basis.  Like many others I was afraid of allowing my learners to take control of their own learning.  Plus, when you add the social aspect of this theory into the picture the noise level is bound to increase.  However, with all the benefits which I have not only researched, but also observed it is hard not to succumb and at least begin this adventure into untraveled instructional techniques and I am more than happy that I have begun this journey.

Cooperative learning, a form of social learning (Laureate, 2011) is the main strategy I am currently trying to embark on within my classroom.  Letting go and allowing my Kindergarteners to become the social beings they were born to be has actually been a blessing in my classroom.  However, if I would have attempted this technique during my first year of teaching I don’t think I would have had the same results.  The combination of my own teaching experience and knowledge gained on this theory has allowed me to use this technique on a more consistent basis. 

My favorite strategy this year is the “Turn and Talk” method.  After encountering teachable moments within my room, I will allow a couple of my students to share with the whole class and discuss their thoughts in relation to the learning.   Obviously, there is not enough time in a day for the whole class to share after each moment (and if you have ever taught Kindergarten you would know that they are all eager share); therefore, I give all the students an opportunity to turn and talk to their neighbor about the current topic.  I found the main key to this strategy being effective in my room and tolerable in regards to noise level is to have them use whisper voice (obviously this take much practice and modeling at the beginning of the year).

While cooperative learning is becoming more and more prevalent within my classroom, there are still many social strategies that I have yet to embark upon within my own room.  Connectivism was a new theory to me.  However, this theory seems to make perfect sense in relation to our society this day and age.  Defined, this theory emphasizes the importance of acquiring information and knowledge which is directly important to the current context (Orey, 2001).  In other words, learners should be using their current situations to acquire the most up-to-date knowledge and content via making connection with others.  Unfortunately, this content is not always defined by standards and preset curriculum.  However, as an educator I can see the importance of this theory, but wish I had more support and knowledge regarding the use of such a powerful tool.  Until then I definitely plan on using some of my prior knowledge regarding social networking sites, wikis, and blogs to play off of this theory.    

Ultimately, social learning theories may begin to become more main stream in our classrooms around the nation, especially as technology and networking continue to grow.  Technology allows all individuals to connect and learn from each other on a easier basis.  With this said it seems essential for educators to present children with the opportunity to interact with these tools and develop social cooperation skills so that they may be better prepared for the future (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007).  Hopefully, our government will begin to also realize the importance of this trait in our learners and how it relates to standardized testing and educational accountability.  Until this is done it will be harder for educators to justify the importance of learning via social interactions within their classrooms and learning environments.

For all you visual learners, here is a link to a video in regards to the social learning theory:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-IJzoE4Xls It will also provide you with some more background and historical content in realtion to this theory which I have not discussed in my post.  Please feel free to also navigate into the other social learning videos which are also provided on this site.

Resources

Social Learning Theory [Video podcast].  (2011).  Retrieved from the YouTube   website:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-IJzoE4Xls

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011). Program eight: Social learning theories [Video webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Retrieved from http://laureate.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=5700267&CPURL=laureate.ecollege.com&Survey=1&47=2594577&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=0&bhcp=1Orey, M. (Ed.). (2001). Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Main_Page

Orey, M. (Ed.). (2001). Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Main_Page

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

5 comments:

  1. Angel-
    I really enjoyed your honesty in your blog post. I also agree that at first it can be nerve-racking relinquishing control over the classroom to allow your students learn for themselves. I still have to remind myself that creating assignments involving collaboration is simply "working in partners", but challenging the students to challenge each other. I also agree with your point about how standardized testing totally ignores this method of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jay,
    Thank you for your response. It is nice to know that I am not the only one who finds this form of learning a little uneasy at first. However, you are completely right, we are challenging them to challenge each other and grow from that experience.
    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angel,

    I like your example of the "turn and talk" method. I'm trying this with my 7th graders, and need to work on a few wanting to recite RUN DMC lyrics when they have a chance to turn and talk. All small issues aside, I believe cooperative learning is a proven method to use with students on a weekly basis. I like how social learning theory fits into the techonology examples and social networking this week. I agree that the federal and state governments need to realize the need for tests that are not as standardized as we have now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael,
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who may face a few off task behaviors whenever I give the students a chance to take the lead. Your "RUN DMC" comment gave me a good chuckle. I could just picture it, or maybe I could relate to doing the same thing when I was that age. I guess this is all a part of learning what works and doesn't work, but I am definitely more pleased with this strategy this year than I have been in the past. Maybe I am starting to move out of my own comfort zone and my students are reaping the benefits!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angel,
    Cooperative learning groups are one of the strategies that my school use. I believe that schools should be able to use some of the vast social networking sites. A large number of thesse sites are blocked.

    I like the strategy, Turn & Talk. This will be a great way to have my students sumarize the lesson. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete