Friday, December 16, 2011

Walden University—EDUC 6711 Final Blog Reflection—Personal Theory of Learning and Future Implications

This course has helped me to mesh the use of educational technologies with theories of learning; it has allowed me to discover not only the importance of technology, but also the importance of creating opportunities which support the conjunction of technology and current learning theories in order to differentiate student instruction.  After reviewing my “Personal Theory of Learning” and reflecting upon my own learning from this course I have been reaffirmed on the importance of using not only one learning theory, instructional strategy, or form of technology (Schwartz, 2011).  In other words, students are very different and bring a great array of learning styles; therefore, as a teacher I must be prepared to provide opportunities which supply a variety of forms to acquire new knowledge.
I still believe I use the behaviorist, cognitivist, and at times the constructivist approach to learning.  Each theory provides a different perspective.  In fact, each theory uses different entities to engage the learner, but all seem to encourage active learning (Laureate, 2011).  While one theory may work well for one child, that same theory may not be the best option for another.  Furthermore, while one theory may work well for one content area, that same theory may not work well in another content area.  Therefore, it is important for the teacher to remain flexible.  While most educators have a tendency to teach in accordance to their own preferred learning style, it is important to take the time to evaluate the effectiveness of that style in conjunction with you current student population and the differences they may bring to the table.
Therefore, as an educator I plan on using this advice in my own practice.  For example, the social learning theory has never been one of my personal favorites.  In other words, it is difficult for me to learn using this theory.  Unpleasant and ineffective learning opportunities that were centered on this theory have left a bad taste in my mouth as a learner.  Therefore, as a teacher I tend to avoid this theory within my own practice.  However, this course has helped me to see the value of this theory in relation to some of my learners.  In fact, this theory even supports the gradual release of responsibility that I hold of value within my own classroom.  In other words, this theory can provide this gradual release through social interactions and active engagement (Orey, 2001).  Therefore, I plan on beginning to incorporate this theory on a more routine basis within my classroom.
Furthermore, technology can assist me in the development of this active engagement and social interaction within my classroom.  I definitely plan on using voice thread applications more often.  The two I have used over the duration of this course were a definite hit with my learners.  Not only were they a captivating form for providing information, but they also allowed my learners to interact with the information and provide their own input via comments.  This in turn provided my students with a sense of ownership over the information and a development of pride in their own thoughts and input.
Another, technological tool which I can see myself implementing on a more routine basis would be the use of my interactive board for more than a simple instructional tool.  I want my interactive board to become just that, “interactive.”  In other words, I want my students to feel comfortable using the board to construct their own knowledge and develop further skills.  In turn, they will not only be acquiring academic skills in relation to the content, but they will also be acquiring 21st century life skills as they learn to interact with their surroundings and use them to their advantage.  Consequently, as a teacher I believe I have developed a repertoire of instructional skills that will not only support the academic development of my learners, but also their development of life skills which they will be able to take with them and use even after they leave my room.
Therefore, setting two long-term goals seems like an effective means for assuring my future use of these new tools and others which will not only benefit my learners, but also my own instructional practice.  First of all, I would like to continue the use of technology tools as learning tools and not simply instructional tools.  In order to achieve this feat I will begin by logging and reflecting on my use of technology.  I will describe this use on a weekly basis, mark the effectiveness of each tool, and finally reflect on the benefits.  This will help me to determine the ability for each apparatus to be viewed as a learning tool or just an instructional tool.
Finally, I would like to continue to learn about more opportunities for using technology to enhance learning.  Prior to this course I had never experienced or used the voice thread apparatus.  Therefore, I am sure there are plenty of more apparatuses which I have yet to encounter that may enhance the learning in my classroom.  In order to achieve this goal I will continue my venture with Walden as well as taking the initiative to self-educate.  In other words, I plan on signing up for technology classes that may not be required, but are provided by my district.  Furthermore, I will inquire about seminars that may be provided with our local community college.  This institution may be able to provide me with ideas for using local technology tools, which are specific to my location and can be used within my classroom.  Ultimately, I plan on continuing with my current instructional technique, but modifying my use of technology and different instructional approaches in order to enhance all learning.  In other words, there is no need for me to reinvent the wheel; instead, I must simply remain flexible and willing to change in order to benefit my student population. 
References
Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011). Program three: Instructional theory vs. learning theory [Video webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Retrieved from http://laureate.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=5700267&CPURL=laureate.ecollege.com&Survey=1&47=2594577&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=0&bhcp=1
Orey, M. (Ed.). (2001). Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Main_Page
Schwartz, A. (2011).  EDUC 6711—Week One Application—Defining Your Personal Theory of Learning.  Unpublished manuscript, Walden University.

No comments:

Post a Comment