Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Walden University--EDUC 6713--Week 3 Application


After reviewing my GAME plan it seems that my goals fall under to two broad categories; the first category being the encouragement of learner reflection and the second category being my own ability to engage in professional development while also encouraging and motivating other individuals to grow in the area of technology integration.  While both of these categories are different they actually will require many of the same resources.

In order to encourage student reflection I will need to use technology to research alternative methods for engaging even young students as they attempt to reflect upon their learning.  I will need access to a variety of forms of informative material, such as digital or even printed resources.  I may also need to interact with other colleagues who have successfully implemented this reflection within their own classroom.  Finally, I could attempt to receive expert opinions from college professors within my area or accessibly via the Internet.  Furthermore, there may also be professional readings which I could check out from our local library or buy from our local bookstore that will assist me in my venture to identify with successful means for using student reflection within the classroom.

Similar to the student reflection goal, I believe that the professional development goal will also require outside resources.  I will need to check with our local college in order to identify experts within the realm of technology integration.  Hopefully, I will be able to set up a time to chat with these individuals or at least exchange emails with them.  Furthermore, I will need to access credible material provided by professional organizations.  This could be done via the Internet or professional publications.  Finally, I may also be able to find information from other teachers within my district who can provide me with technology integration tips that work well within the context of our personal educational settings.

Therefore, the additional information that I will need in order to further my GAME plan will be centered on retrieving and identifying resources which may be critical to my growth within each goal.  As of right now I believe that I am still within the Action step of my GAME plan.  The next step will be for me to monitor my learning as I attempt to implement some of the information I retrieve during my research.  This monitoring will be a crucial step in my self-directed learning as it will require me to constantly reflect on my learning and how it relates to my current context and future (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009).  During this time I plan on using a reflective journal to document my thoughts, observations, and ideas.  Finally, I will need to evaluate the meaning of the learning and how it directly relates to my professional and personal environment.  Furthermore, this step will allow me to identify where I am at as a professional and where I want to go!   

References
 Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

               

3 comments:

  1. Angel,

    Great idea considering to get advice from college professors in the area! I would have never guessed to do that. Along with using professors from other colleges, teachers from other schools can be called upon to give advice as well.

    THANKS FOR THE IDEA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angel,
    I have always felt that experience is the best teacher. Going through something yourself will better prepare you for the same situation when you go through it the next time, say next year. As importantly, I feel it is a tremendous benefit to learn from colleagues. Logistically, it makes life much easier to communicate with colleagues at your school. You can get to know the personality of the teachers you work with, and see how their implementation of a certain strategy worked. It may work better, the same, or worse, depending on the students you teach and the personality of the teacher. There are so many variable in teaching that no one way makes it the right way. I do feel it is beneficial to have a network of teachers outside your school to work with. You can learn from their experience. The is one benefit to attending your associations conventions. I went to the NSTA (National Science Teachers Association) convention this year. Not only did I come back with some great ideas, I now have many colleagues across the nation, who teach the same subjects I teach, to use for ideas. I can tap into their experiences to use in my classroom. You sound like you are on your way to doing that. Just think, it was much more difficult to do this years ago before the internet was prevalent everywhere. It is much easier now.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete