Monday, May 21, 2012

Walden University--EDUC 6713--Week 4 Application

To provide a recap for myself as well as my readers; the goals I have selected for my GAME plan fall under two primary categories.  The first category is the encouragement of learner reflection and the second category is to engage in professional development while also encouraging and motivating other individuals to grow in the area of technology integration.  While both of these categories seem applicable and meaningful by themselves, I believe that by combing my learning from each I will increase my effectiveness and understanding to an even greater level. 
So far, I have found both of these categories to be well-worth my investigation time.  If I had to place myself on a progress timeline I would place myself deep within the Action stage.  However, it seems that the stages within the GAME plan seem to overlap and merge with each other.  In other words, my progress within the Action stage has led me into the Monitoring stage as well.  In fact, as I acquire new information I am constantly reflecting on how that learning relates to my current context and future. 
Cennamo, Ross, and Ertmer (2009) emphasize the crucial importance of monitoring your learning, as this is a crucial component in successful self-directed learning.  The primary tool I have used during this stage is a reflection journal.  I do not have a tablet and handheld digital device; therefore, much of my monitoring and reflection can be found within the pages of regular paper notebook.  However, if I had such a device I think it may help me to organize my learning more effectively.  Plus, I could use a recordable device in order to verbalize my own thoughts or the thoughts of other interested individuals.    
            Within my notebook you will find information on both goals.  I have talked with fellow educators and have received some fairly sound advice.  In regards to student reflection the favorite idea I have come across is to have a “Wrap it up!” session at the end of each lesson.  These sessions could help my students to evaluate their own understanding in regards to a number of standards and goals required within my district Guaranteed and Viable Curriculum documents (Laramie County School District 1, 2011). 
During this time students take a quick 5 minutes to write down their thoughts about the learning.  This is also their time to write down any questions they may have in regards to the content.  From this point the teacher can select from a variety of sharing options; there can be a class sharing session, a peer/small group sharing session, or the teacher can simply take their writing and read it at a later time.  This reflection can also be considered a form of student self-assessment, which is a critical stepping stone towards self-initiated learning (Laureate Education, Inc., 2010).
            On the other hand, I was recently given the opportunity to work on encouraging and motivating other individuals to grow in the area of technology.  This opportunity has come to me in the form of a student teacher with whom I will be working with next fall.  Yes, I know this is only one person with whom I can potentially influence, but it is a good start.  Therefore, from here I think I need to modify my action plan to reflect the needs of a new teacher in regards to technology integration.  Not only do I plan on using the content and learning I am able to attain via my own education, but I also plan to expand upon this content and create a repertoire of knowledge that can be shared with my mentee. 
            Finally, the main question that has arisen from my learning thus far is, “How do I know when I have enough information?”  It seems to me that there is so much to learn in regards to both of my goals.  I am having a hard time deciding on a stopping point.  I guess the key aspect to remember is not to overwhelm myself and provide myself with time to not just graze the surface for a vast amount of information, but to dive deep into a few selected resources that can really help me to develop a deeper understanding and appreciation for the knowledge acquired within the attainment of both of my goals. 

References

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.
Laramie County School District 1.  (2011).  Grade kindergarten GVC 2011-2012.  Retrieved from http://gvc.www.laramie1.org/modules/locker/files/group_files.phtml?gid=1749089&parent=13847822&sessionid=b91b3fad577d9b89464d37148bb3ec21
Laureate Education, Inc.  (Executive Producer). (2010).  Program three. Assessing student learning [Webcast]. Integrating technology across the content areas.   Baltimore, MD: Author.

2 comments:

  1. Heath Oliver response to Angel Schwartz,

    I agree with your thoughts on the question “How do I know when I have enough information?”. In the technology world there is not enough information and it is always changing so there is more and more of it to know. I believe and lifelong learners educators we have to set the example that there is never enough information and we should always be wanting to learning more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly, there is just so much to learn and we are blessed with the great realm of new information that technology can bring to us. Thanks for your sharing!

    ReplyDelete