Friday, June 15, 2012

Walden University—EDUC 6713—Week Seven Reflective Essay—GAME Plan—Final Blog Post


Thinking about their own thinking is not always a natural process for all learners.  In fact, this process can actually be quite messy and daunting when preformed without a helpful and useful framework.  Many learners will constantly reflect on their given situation; however, the GAME plan described by Cennamo, Ross, and Ertmer (2009) can help each individual learn to identify certain parameters that can guide this process and create a more successful learning situation tailored to meet the needs of each student.

In fact, this plan has helped me to not only identify my own educational needs, but also the areas in which these needs can help me to grow and flourish as a professional.  I was able to specifically tailor my own learning so that it addressed my current teaching style and overall context.  I focused on two primary areas that I deemed to be in need of a change or perhaps just in need of further professional ideas to be added to my bank of knowledge.  Student reflection via means of collaboration and creativity was my first area of focus, followed by the encouragement of others as well as myself to grow in the area of technology integration.

From my specific GAME plan I learned that student reflection in Kindergarten is not only possible and can be successful, but it is also an essential step in the learning process of these young learners.  In other words, these students are already constantly reflecting and revising their vision and conceptual understanding of the world around them.  By providing my students with an outlet for these reflections I was pleasantly surprised by the beneficial outcomes which were to follow.  I found that group collaboration and reflection seems to work best with the age group as they need consistent modeling and demonstrations.  Furthermore, follow-up sessions which allowed them to orally communicate their thoughts also worked well for learners who had not yet made the transition from a non-writer to an actual writer.  These sessions also seemed to spark new creative ideas which were developed as a result of group efforts.  Finally, I learned that reflection can be especially successful when paired with collaboration.  Yes, two heads are better than one and when you place 22 heads together the results are compelling!

Within the area of professional growth I learned that I am actually more confident in my abilities than I had previously thought.  The more I use technology in my own classroom the easier and more successful it becomes.  While I am by no means a pro I have found that with time and stories of success, others are more willing to jump on board.  Yes, change is hard on the mind at times, but change can also be beneficial and at times make things more effective and efficient.  In other words, by doing the beginning work and working out the majority of the kinks, I have found my colleagues to be more likely to show interest and even take on the initiative to seek out their own change.  This is shocking for me, as I have always struggled to convince others who are set in their ways.  While it is still a struggle, I can now see at least some specks of light starting to pop through the darkness of the technology integration tunnel which has loomed within the classrooms of many educators who are scared of the change.

This GAME plan has been fairly successful.  I am confident that I will continue to use this plan in the future as it has been a great way for me to organize my thoughts.  On that same note, I am hopeful that in the future I will do a better job of actually writing these thoughts down.  This is a primary step within the monitoring phase that was somewhat cumbersome for me.  I am not going to use the excuse that I did not have enough time to write my thoughts down throughout the process on a consistent basis; I just believe I had a hard time remembering to take the time to perform this self-reflecting task.  However, since I learned that this task is an essential step in the learning process for my students, then it must also be an essential step in my learning process; not only as a self-educator, but as a successful role model for the learners within my classroom.  Therefore, I plan on using times for reflection more often, not only for myself, but also for my students as they follow the GAME plan process.

Finally, in regards to technology I plan on adding the technology in which I was exposed to within this course to my bank of instructional tools.  Problem-based learning is not only something that I do as an educator in order to increase my professional knowledge, but also something that I do in my everyday life.  Therefore, this is an essential form of learning that I will continue to practice within my own classroom; it is authentic and immediately relevant to the learners as they will be able to take these skills with them to be used throughout their own lives.  Furthermore, social networking, online collaboration, and digital storytelling are all tools that can be used outside of the educational setting.  However, their ability to impact learning within the educational setting is even more astonishing as I have learned by developing their use within my own classroom.  I am eager to continue their use and observe the success that will naturally transpire!

Refe
rences

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.


No comments:

Post a Comment